Gardening can seem like an incredibly benign activity, and conjures up scenes of idyllic sunny days, and baskets brimming with homegrown fruit and veg.
But it can actually be a really powerful tool for bringing people, and communities together.
In this episode I interview Sara Venn from Incredible Edible Bristol, who has founded the city’s growing project and transformed not just unloved spaces around Bristol, but people’s lives too.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- The secret to growing engaged and active online communities around the things that you care about
- The power of social media to bring people together around a common cause
- How Sara started her hugely popular #shoutyhalfhour twitter chat
- The various ways that Sara is able to generate income for Incredible Edible Bristol
- How to get started with your own Incredible Edible Project in your community
Ron Finley’s TED talk
Pam Warhurst’s TED talk (founder of Incredible Edible)
Incredible Edible Bristol
The resources for starting school growing programmes that Sara mentions in the interview
Incredible Edible Bristol Facebook page
Incredible Edible Bristol on Instagram
Sara Venn on Twitter
Sara’s own website