Tool libraries are a brilliantly simple concept, and are a pretty popular thing over in North America, but up until a couple of years ago, we didn’t have even one here in the UK.
All that changed in 2015 when Chris Hellawell started up The Edinburgh Tool Library. It’s an inspirational story of one man with a vision, who is creating huge positive change in his community and showing the Sharing Economy is about far more than simply ‘stuff’.
What you’ll learn:
- What exactly a Tool Library is and how it works
- How borrowing a tool can genuinely change someone’s life
- What the most important tool in any workshop is
- How Chris is creating a sustainable business model, with multiple income streams, at the same time as effecting positive change in his community
- How to get started with your own Tool Library
The Edinburgh Tool Library
The Edinburgh Tool Library on Facebook
Chris on Twitter
Edinburgh Tool Library on Instagram (look out for pictures of Chris’ dog!)
Toronto Tool Library
Two blog posts I wrote a couple of years ago after interviewing Chris via e-mail
– this first one has some more general information about Tool Libraries, and about Edinburgh Tool Library in particular
– this second one has some great information for anyone wanting to find out more about setting up their own Tool Library