I'm Jen, and I'm a wife, mum, 'retired vet', chicken wrangler, and ethical business coach (don't worry, I'll explain what that is in just a mo!).
I live in a small market town in Wiltshire, which is in the South-West of England, in between the beautiful cities of Bath and Salisbury.
We have two small boys who seem to generate an endless stream of washing, and leave behind them a trail of Lego and paper aeroplanes.
We are the proud owners of one 79 year old tortoise, 6 chickens, and one slightly annoying cat called Nigella.
A few years ago we lived for a year without buying anything new, and during this time my eyes were opened to the concept of ethical business... so I quit my job as a vet, trained as a coach and chose to specialize in helping ethical businesses and social entrepreneurs - the positive changemakers in the world.
So now you know a little bit more about me, back to that all important question, how can I help you?
And what exactly is an ethical business coach anyway?
I work with ethical and social entrepreneurs to help them to grow their businesses, and their impact, and make more good stuff happen.
"Ethical Business" and "Social Enterprise" mean different things to different people, but basically if you are running a business that has a positive impact on the planet, that pays suppliers and producers a fair wage, or that is generally making good stuff happen in the world, then by my book, you are an ethical business, and I want to help you.
As a coach, I work in a slightly different way from a mentor or a consultant, in that I start from a place where I believe that you are the expert in your business, and it is not my job to tell you what to do.
Here's what I do instead:
- I spend time getting to know you and your business, and encourage you to think and talk about (maybe for the first time out loud) what it is that you want from your business, and from your life.
- I provide the space and time for you to dream big and help you to design a business that works for you, and that allows you to create the positive changes you want to see in the world.
- I help you to break down that 'Big Vision' into a series of milestones, and to work out what steps you need to take first to start moving forwards.
- I walk alongside you as you step out of your comfort zone, and into that place where the growth and the magic happen. I help you to take the actions you need to despite your fears and your doubts.
- I work with you to set goals that will stretch you and that will move your business forwards.
- I act as a sounding board for your ideas, and help you distill down 'all the ideas' into the ones that will work for you.
- I get you. I get that you are driven by something other than money. That you have a purpose and a passion, and unique abilities to create positive change in the world. And I get that trying to generate an income from that passion and that purpose can sometimes feel hard, and lonely. I understand why you might sometimes make decisions that make no financial sense, because they're the right thing to do.
- I'm in your corner. I've got your back. I'm your virtual cheerleader. It's my job to help you succeed, whatever success looks like to you.
I'm passionate about 'good business' and I truly believe that all businesses should be 'good' and should be focussed on the people and planet as well as profit.
If your business is doing good stuff and making the world a better place, I want to help you.
Here's 3 ways I can help you for free:
1. This post here is a super helpful overview of the questions you need to ask yourself to create a business plan for your world changing business that you will actually use. Don't worry, it's not one of those dull number crunching plans you might have had to create to appease your bank manager - this is an actual living, breathing, working document that will help you to get from where you are now, to where you want to be.
2. Listen to my Making Good podcast - it's full of inspirational stories from ethical and social entrepreneurs making good stuff happen, as well as tips and tools from me to help you start and grow your own 'good business'.
3. Check out my blog - you'll find all sorts of helpful posts including techniques to help you to push on past your fears, and how to beat 'comparison-itis'.
If you're tired of going it alone, and want someone who is on your side, and who will help you get where you want to be more quickly and easily, then check out the options for working with me below:
- Online courses
- 1:1 strategy sessions with me, to 'charge up your changemaking' and help you to get clear on what you want and how to get there.
- My 1:1 coaching package of 12 weeks of focussed support, including 6 1:1 calls, and unlimited e-mail support.
Or book a call with me (it's free, and there's no hard sell, I promise!) to tell me more about where you are, and what you're stuck with, and we can chat about how best I can help you move forwards.
Lastly (and it is lastly, if you have got to the end of this epic page, well done!) do come and find me online.
I'm mildly addicted to social media, and nothing makes me happier than an unexpected "Hi!" online (OK, slight exaggeration, a big mug of Earl Grey would make me happier. And cake.)